Monday 24 February 2014

London trip

I have just returned from a short break in London.  The weather was pretty good, no rain, which was a relief.  We took advantage of the sun to walk along the embankment and look at the memorial to the RAF and the Battle of Britain.


Our destination was the Household Cavalry Museum and on Whitehall is the memorial to the Women of WWII
The museum is pretty small, but has some quite interesting displays.  Alongside the helmets and ornamental 19th century armour was this plug bayonet; which I assume related to the Royal Dragoons in their early role as mounted infantry.

The gauntlet in the background formed part of a collection of classic "harquebusier" equipment, with front and back plate and helmet, you could clearly see the 'proving' mark on the breast plate.


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the heads up - I never knew there was a Household Cavalry Museum... I'll try and get to see it next time I'm in London...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve - You can read a little more about it on my blog - I visited last October. http://notjustoldschool.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/waterloo-project-mixture-of-tiny-steps.html
    Chris

    ReplyDelete